Tuesday, February 17, 2009

God is in the Details

It's been a long time since I updated this Blog. The winter came, and sucked all the vitality from me. I found myself drifting, hibernating, existing without any real purpose. Lately however the weather has taken a turn for the better, and the sunlight has recharged my batteries. So I find myself once again writing and thinking of writing.

I also find myself once again contemplating the nature of God. I still find it impossible to believe that there is one God, Creator of the Universe. Or rather, I believe that if there is one Creator, He has since moved on to other things, leaving His universe to spin and expand, alone. I believe that such a being is so beyond the touch and understanding of man, and that we cannot truly grasp the reality of His existence. He has left this world to the lesser Gods, Gods that man can envision and contemplate.

So I find myself discovering Gods in the most commonplace of things. Like believers of Shinto, I can believe that each household possesses a unique protective God. I can believe there is a God of the trees, a God on the mountain. A God of the pots and pans. Simple, natural deities that require very little worship, only respect. Gods of the details of life. I find I can connect to these deities far more easily than to a grand Creator.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and the monotheists are right. I suppose I'll eventually find out, in the next life. yet I also feel that anyone that is great enough to have created this universe can forgive the transgressions of an ignorant monkey such as myself. In the meantime, I'll content myself with the Gods of the details of life.

No comments: